5.04.2011

The best three units I've ever taken

Adventuring rule #11: Challenges lead to rewards.

     I drove up to the intersection and waited in the turn lane at a red light. A flurry of honking and yelling from behind my truck drew my attention. I turned to see a student waving at me with his car door open, a folder full of papers in his hands.

     "Sara! I forgot to turn in my portfolio!" The student leaped from his seat, leaving the car parked in the multiple lane road.  I reached the passenger side of the cab to hurriedly roll down my window, but the student had already opened the door. He tried to stuff his papers more securely into the folder while placing the whole mess in the box on my seat. I tore the portfolio from his hands and stared incredulously at his boldness.

     "Get back in your car! Just leave the folder. Go!" I hollered at him, laughing. He smiled really big, said thanks, and jumped back into his Honda without breaking a sweat.
     These are things that happen to me as a teaching assistant. I've also had the opportunity to explain my lack of shoes to a group of forty students, to prove to the same group why Twitter isn't useless, and moderate the opinions of the whole crowd in heated discussions.

     I love this job. I've worked in classrooms for my whole life. The format of learning with a group of one's peers while guided by someone who has already walked the same path is a really great way to retain knowledge. It has worked for me because of the great people I keep finding in classrooms. If I stay in them long enough, I will learn more.


     I've been asked by this professor to TA in the past. I had to say no because it conflicted with my priorities, but I knew it was on my college bucket list. This semester, I turned down a yoga class to be a TA in a Humanities 200 course. Yoga could have lessened my stress this semester, or improved my body, but I have my whole life to take yoga classes. I'll never again get to be a TA at this university. I was taught by some very special people that doing good work matters, and that the choices made by an individual are relevant for the world. I was taught that my beliefs are strengthened when they are tested. I was taught that arguments backed up by structure and facts are much stronger. I want to teach things things to others.

     In class, when the debates get heated, I get an opportunity to help students construct intelligent opinions. When they don't have the facts, I can go online and help them understand. When they are not satisfied with the world, I can show them ways to make positive change.  I hated my leadership class, but everything I learned is relevant now. It's especially fitting that in my final semester I'm spending time with students who are on the beginning of middle of their own university careers. It is impossible for me to sink away into my own bubble when I'm constantly reminded of what other students are thinking about.

     You won't read this, Denny Bozman's Humanities 200 class. But I'm so glad you let me into your classroom and your lives. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment